Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I've got a fever . . .

Welcome to Wednesday. What a beautiful day to fall asleep in chapel.

Let's hear a big round of digital applause for Leaving 99 and their musical adventures this morning. Not since Blue Oyster Cult have we heard cowbell that rocked so hard. If Jesus had a fever this morning, I'm sure his prescription has been filled.

As for the rest of chapel, I have to be honest and say that I slept through most of it. I don't know what it is about the voice of The Gresh, but it has a certain poppyfield quality to it. Get the scientists from Nyquil on the phone, I've found their secret ingredient.

Identity is a tired idea. As college students, we've been pounded with lectures and speeches about "finding ourselves" since we were thirteen...do we really need to hear about this any more? It's like the eighty-seven year olds who have gone to church their whole lives and heard the same sermons over and over and over again but somehow still haven't figured out their most rudimentary theology. It's Groundhog day, ladies and gents, and we are all Bill Murray. [Punxsutawney Phil, where are you?!]

How about this: we'll find our identities when we're damn well ready to! Or, at the very least, if we're going to be lectured on the subject, plllllllease don't pull the trick of suggesting that we need to "find ourselves" and then turn around in the next sentence and tell us where "ourselves" are to be found [Hint: B7]. That's not helping, that's brainwashing.

In other news. Apparently SNU has decided to allow political campaigning on campus from outside groups. Let me make myself clear that I have no problem with an interest in politics. I think it would do us all some good to become more engaged in the political process. My problem arises when non-student groups are allowed to come onto our campus and harass students in the middle of their school day. [Especially when the ideologies of the candidates they are supporting are hateful, exclusive, and, if put into action, would only serve to push our nation further down the shitter.]

If we're going to allow groups, student or otherwise, to present their political opinions on campus, I think it's only fair that both sides be represented.

Stephen Vandervort, you're my hero.

"Keep near me and you will be safe."

Daedalus

1 comment:

Jack said...

Was the sermon really about us finding ourselves, or just what kind of people we should be in our church and community?